Sunday, July 25, 2010

Kelly's [Former] France Blog's Native American Lit Challenge

Now that I am home and nice and refreshed, I thought it would be a good idea to introduce my new reading challenge, my Native American Lit Challenge.  As I think I've mentioned in the past, I absolutely adored the Native American Literature class I took last semester.  It opened my eyes to a whole other world of reading I'd never even thought of.  I could not get enough of what we read in class, mostly short stories, with some excerpts from longer novels.  We also read a lot of Native American folklore.  I've found myself rereading a lot of those short stories this summer, and decided to create my own challenge to read 10 novels (or essays, or short story collections..) in one year.  I'm starting my list with N. Scott Momaday's House Made of Dawn.  I did a report on him for my Nat. Lit. class and fell in love with his short stories and writing technique.  (If you are looking for a super fantabulous short story, try "The Well".)  Then I went through the short story books I had for class and picked out some of my favorite authors, and found some of their most reknowned works to add to my list. 

So without further ado, here is my challenge list:

1. House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday
2. The Way to Rainy Mountain by N. Scott Momaday
3. Love Medecine by Louise Erdrich
4. Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich
5. Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko
6. Yellow Woman and a Beauty of the Spirit by Leslie Marmon Silko
7. The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie
8. Flight: A Novel by Sherman Alexie
9. Voices from the Other Side by Harvest moon eyes
10. Apprenticed to Justice by Kimberly M. Blaeser

I've given links to Amazon for all the books in case you want to check them out yourself.  The only one I'm having trouble finding is Voices from the Other Side by Harvest moon eyes.  I really hope I can find this.  There was an excerpt from it (or I'm assuming it's from it) in one of the short story collections I read for class, and it was probably my absolute favorite.  I'm dying to find this book! 

Feel free to join in if you'd like, and even make your own list!

No comments:

Post a Comment