Monday, August 2, 2010

In My Mailbox (1)



I meant to post this yesterday, but with a 5 hour drive to see my favorite singer in concert, plus another 5 hour drive back home the same night, I obviously had a hard time finding time :)

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme started by Kristi at The Story Siren and inspired by Alea from Pop Culture Junkie. Every Sunday bloggers post the books they've acquired over the past week: bought/borrowed/won. For more info please visit The Story Siren's IMM page.

Our Kind of Traitor: A NovelThe World According to Garp (Modern Library)The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession

This week, I received in the mall an ARC of John le Carré's new book Our Kind of Traitor. It is going to be published Oct 12th 2010. Here is the plot from Amazon.com:

"Perry and Gail are idealistic and very much in love when they splurge on a tennis vacation at a posh beach resort in Antigua. But the charm begins to pall when a big-time Russian money launderer enlists their help to defect. In exchange for amnesty, Dima is ready to rat out his vory (Russian criminal brotherhood) compatriots and expose corruption throughout the so-called legitimate financial and political worlds. Soon, the guileless couple find themselves pawns in a deadly endgame whose outcome will be determined by the victor of the British Secret Service's ruthless internecine battles."

It looks like it'll be a good read.  Although I put The Constant Gardener on the back burner for a while, I'm eager to give this author another shot.
From the library this week, I also got The World According to Garp, by John Irving. I've been hearing rave reviews about Irving's writing for ages now, so I decided to take the plunge and give him a try. My library didn't have either of the two I was looking for (Last Night in Twisted River and A Prayer for Owen Meany), so I decided on Garp.

I also checked out The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlett, which I've been wanting to read since I first read about it last year sometime. It's also on one of my 2010 challenges. I'm excited to start reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment