Sunday, November 28, 2010

Weekend Reads: Shopping and Reading Challenges

Yay for Thanksgiving and awesome online sales :) I hope you all had a great holiday (if you're American, otherwise I hope you still had a great week!). I enjoyed Thanksgiving at my uncle's house in Rochester. He is obsessed with French wine, and he just kept pulling out bottles of the stuff! I probably had 6 glasses throughout the day. And I usually only drink one or two..
Today, I decided to head over to a website I hadn't yet bought anything from, but which I was already loving because of it's low book prices, bookcloseouts.com. Until Tuesday, they have an extra 50% off a ton of their books, and those books are already insanely discounted! I got 8 books for $20, people. It was beautiful. 4 of those books were for family members for Christmas. Boyfriend got a book on beer, Mom got a book on coffee and tea, and Twin, well, I can't say what Twin got because she reads my blog.

I never head to the stores on Black Friday because it's insane, and I feel bad for the workers. Unless, like Twin, they make commission. Twin is in France right now, but usually in the Sears Shoe Department, she gets a shit load of money in commission after working Black Friday.

Now onto the next topic: Challenges

I really like challenges, as long as I don't overdo it and I read books I like and want to read anyway. And since it's almost the end of the year, I figure I'll decide what challenges to do for next year now. I'm going to do the TBR Challenge again, where you pick 12 books you haven't gotten around to reading and read those in the course of a year. I don't remember the site that was doing it because I never actually signed up (I made my list of books to read when I was in France, before I converted my blog to a book blog), so if you know, let me know ;) I also just signed up for the First in a Series Challenge. I like to be reading at least one or two series at all times because if I really like the series, I can fall back on a book in it when life gets stressful, and I'll know that I'll like the book. I've already finished 1 of my favorite series this year, and I'm right on track to finish 2 more. So I think I need to find me some new series to start loving. You can sign up here. I'll post later on what I want to read for both the challenges.  Lastly, I decided to do the 2011 Vintage Mystery Challenge, because I have a lot of Agatha Christies and The Hound of the Baskervilles sitting on my shelves, and it'll be an excuse to finally read them :)  You can sign up for that one here.

Oh, and just so you can all bawl your eyes out and sigh like I did, here is a link to what some are calling the most touching love letter of the American Civil War. You might want some tissues at your side.

2 comments:

  1. First, I would like to say thank you for the new name of Twin. Secondly, your book challenges look like a lot of fun. I would sign up for some, but you know how I always forget things like that about a week after setting my heart on them. Plus, I'll be too busy eating greasy American food for months after I get home to focus on reading. However, if it's in English, I might just pick on up, as I'm so sick of French at this point. I'm excited to see what books you plan on reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi another great blog, love the link to the American civil war letter thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete