Monday, July 25, 2011

Back from Vacation and new fiction book about Arthur Rimbaud

I was gone all last week on a family vacation to Cape May, New Jersey.  I had every intention of doing some blogging while I was there, but ended up not having internet access.  We were paying tons of money for a great beach front hotel, and they wanted to charge us $10 a day for wifi.  WTF?????  So basically blogging did not happen.  It was gorgeous (and HOT!) in NJ and I was sad to leave it behind, but I'm also really glad to be back home with adorable chocolate lab.  Plus, when I returned home and we picked up our mail from the post office, this was waiting for me:

Disaster Was My God: A Novel of the Outlaw Life of Arthur Rimbaud

It is a fictionalized account of part of the life of French author Arthur Rimbaud, based of course on real life events.  It came out last week.  I preordered it in like January.  When I went on one of my Arthur Rimbaud binges.  Because if you've read this blog for a while now, you should know that I have a very unhealthy obsession with Rimbaud and his poetry.  I discovered this book in January when I was up til all hours of the morning rereading Rimbaud's poetry for the gazillionth time, and then decided to google him to see what other juicy stuff I could find.  This is the same time I discovered that Bob Dylan has a song where he mentions Rimbaud (and Verlaine.  The song is called "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go", if you're interested), and also the same night I discovered Leo Ferre and his amazingly awesome record of Rimbaud and Verlaine poems put to music.  You might say I have a problem.  And you would be correct.  Anyway, I'm super excited to read this book.  I know a lot of it is going to be fiction, but at least it will hold me over next time I get into one of my Rimbaud binges.  At least until I buy that really nice French biography of his life..

I'm slowly catching up on all of the blogs I follow too :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment