Saturday, September 3, 2011

Review: The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie

The A.B.C. Murders: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot Mysteries)

Hercule Poirot is enjoying retired life when he receives a startling letter in the mail.  It says that there will be a murder in Andover on a specific date, and it's signed "ABC."  The murder happens, and soon Poirot and Scotland Yard are looking for a serial killer who kills in alphabetical order.  This is his toughest case yet, and he hates that he knows more murders are coming yet cannot stop them.

I liked The ABC Murders but it wasn't as gripping as Murder on the Orient Express.  The beginning was a bit slow for me and it took a while to get into.  I think part of it was the narration.  The book is narrated by Poirot's old friend Hastings, who is in town visiting.  I liked Hastings as a character, but he just didn't do it for me as narrator. 

Once the murders and investigations got underway though, I was sucked in.  Numerous characters are introduced-relatives and friends of the victims-and Poirot uses them to help catch the culprit.

Saying much more would ruin the story, but let me just say that Poirot is just as smart and cunning in this as in Murder on the Orient Express.  I really love him as a character and felt for him when he was down and out about not having any clues.  The ending of The ABC Murders is, in true Agatha Christie fashion, shocking and unexpected.  Although I didn't like it as much as my first Poirot book, it was still a great read and I look forward to more Poirot in the future.

Title: The ABC Murders
Author: Agatha Christie
Date of Publication: 1936 (my copy is from the 1970s)
Number of Pages: 272
Genre: Fiction, Mystery
Source: Library

1 comment:

  1. It's hard to compare ANYTHING to Murder on the Orient Express. That book was a-mazing :)

    ReplyDelete