Saturday, February 2, 2013

Shopping Indie: Talking Leaves Books Elmwood

Now that I live in the city (and one of my bestest friends ever lives just a few blocks away!!), I am super close and within walking distance to one of Buffalo's most popular book stores.  Talking Leaves has 2 locations: 1 right in the city on Elmwood, and 1 in North Buffalo by the University of Buffalo.

Anna and I took a walk to Talking Leaves Elmwood a few weeks ago.  We had intended to find her 1 book and then go next door for coffee.  We instead ended up browsing for quite a while and buying 2 books each and then going back to her place for free coffee.  Because we spent more on books that we had planned.

As a side note, Anna left her hat, a lovely plum colored one that I bought her when I was studying in France, at the store.  We meant to call once we got home to coffee, but we forgot because we are easily distracted.  So that is disappointing.  But oh well...

Talking Leaves has a wonderful and large selection of books.  You walk in and you feel like you are surrounded because books are literally EVERYWHERE.  And there are so many different types of books that you could literally browse for hours.  So props to you, Talking Leaves, for having all the right books :)

Here are my purchases, which I will probably be hunkering down to read soon (maybe next week when I am off allll week??)

Paris to the Past: Traveling Through French History by Train

You know I'm a sucker for anything French.  And when I saw that this has a chapter on La Rochelle, my home for the semester I spent abroad, I just had to have it.  I CANNOT WAIT to read this one.  Especially because it's all places that you can go to by train from Paris within I think an hour.  La Rochelle of course was an exception because it's about a 3 hour train ride.  But SO worth it I would know.

Charlie Chan: The Untold Story of the Honorable Detective and his Rendezvous with American History

Props to you, Talking Leaves for having this one sitting on top of a bookshelf right at eye level.  I HAD TO HAVE IT.  I grew up watching Charlie Chan movies.  I think the book is about how they ended up making people think that Charlie was the typical Asian American who can't speak English well, is wise, and also recites proverbs.  I grew up with great parents and grandparents who never ever let my sisters and myself think that this is how all Asian Americans are.  I am excited to read this one to see what the author has to say.

So that was my most recent excursion to a book store.  I'm sure once it's no longer 14 degrees outside Anna and I will take many more walks to Talking Leaves. 

Check out Talking Leaves online: http://www.tleavesbooks.com
And on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/tleavesbooks

Also on a side note, you can read an article by the store manager on Amazon's role in the "bookstore ecosystem" here.

No comments:

Post a Comment