Thursday, April 11, 2013

Review: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


I'm pretty sure the majority of book lovers out there know the premise of The Night Circus and have read more than their share of reviews, so I'll keep this short and sweet :)

I actually had picked this one up at one point.  And I put it down after about 25 pages.  I just wasn't that into it.  I loved the writing, but I wasn't feeling any instant connections.  Then a few months later, my friend from work (the awesome one who has recommended some fantastisc books to me!) read it, and adored it.  And told me that I NEEDED to give it another chance.  I trust her opinion, so I did.  And it turned out to be one of m favorite books ever.

The writing = Fantastic

The story = Sucks you in

I felt like I was at the Cirque des reves.  I felt like I was a part of the story.  It was a magical experience, one that I don't get very often.  It left me in a foggy daze for weeks after finishing it.  I daydreamed about that circus.

So there you have it.  If you tried this book and put it down, maybe try one more time.  Maybe you'll love it and be enchanted by its world as much as I me!

And here is a favorite passage (the book was just so filled with beautiful lines that I decided on just one quote).  I feel that this passage captures perfectly how I would feel without Twin or my little sister.  Anyone who has a twin or a really close sibling or friend I'm sure will agree with me:

Page 186: "I do not see as well without her.  I do not hear as well without her.  I do not feel as well without her.  I would be better off without a hand or a leg than without my sister."


Title: The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Date of Publication: 2011
Number of Pages: 387
Genre: Fiction
Source: Lent to me by my mom

2 comments:

  1. One of those who haven't read it yet simply because no way of getting it!!!! so I did enjoy the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope you have a chance to read it soon! It is definitely worth it :)

      Delete