Thursday, January 23, 2014

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer


Here's the description from the back of the book:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


I picked this book up at Crow Bookshop in Burlington, VT.  It was used, plus it was on sale for even less.  And I'd been wanting to read it.  As I'm sure you've noticed, I don't read too much YA unless it gets recommended to me by someone I trust.  But this one for some reason I kept thinking about, so I was happy to find it so cheap.

I ended up LOVING this book.  I was hooked from chapter one and couldn't put it down.  I love Cinder as a character.  Even though she's a cyborg, she is so human.  Reading this, I couldn't help feeling like we were racing against the clock to try to stop this plague from killing everyone.  I love that in a book.  It's not at all what I would normally read, especially with the scifi aspect (which is funny because I adore scifi movies, but I don't really read any scifi-ish books).  But it was so much fun to read and so entertaining.

I had to stop myself from buying the next book as soon as I finished this one.  I'm trying to budget myself and buy less books!  But I really think I need to read the next book, and soon!

Have you ever fallen in love with a book outside of your comfort zone?  Tell me about it in the comments or on Twitter!

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Date of Publication: 2013
Number of Pages: 448
Genre: Fiction, YA
Source: Personal Copy

2 comments:

  1. I loved CINDER! Loved it! I was dying to read it when it first came out and it totally lived up to and exceeded every possible expectation I had for it. (I read it in one sitting on an airplane.) I haven't read SCARLET just yet but I plan to get to it very shortly as the third one is due out in just a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised by how much I loved it. I don't think I've been that excited while reading a book in a while! Definitely need to get the 2nd one soon.

      Delete