Sunday, May 11, 2014

Review: Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson 

Here's the Goodread's description:
Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.

Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve.

As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.

I really cannot say enough about how amazing this book is, so I'm going to keep my review pretty short and sweet.  I also might get a little personal and emotional, so if you don't want that, just skip this post :)  I really cannot separate this book from my own experience, so..

I absolutely love this book so much.  It is all so true, all the feelings you have when you're losing a parent.

My dad died about 5 and a half years ago from a heart attack.  And before we were allowed to take him off of life support, we had to wait almost 2 weeks for the hospital staff to perform tests to make sure he was actually brain dead.  I knew he wasn't coming back, as did my family, but having to keep living life like normal for those days while we were waiting was awful.  So I cannot imagine what it's like to lose a loved one from cancer.  Because just those few days were the hardest of my life.  All the things going through your head.  All the things not going through your head.  I know I was going around like a zombie half the time.  A lot from those weeks I don't even remember because they were just so draining.

Taylor did get a chance to have great conversations with her dad though, which is something I didn't get, and I loved those scenes in the book.  She asks him all the questions she never knew about him.  I so wish I had that time.  Getting to see Taylor get those moments with her dad were pretty priceless to me.  I was really close with my dad, but I still find myself constantly wondering what he would have thought about this and that, what he was like when he was my age, etc.

 This book is about lose and grief, but it also is about hope.  Yes, Taylor's father is dying.  But she's also still thinking about the future, without him.  And as guilty as you feel when you are thinking about the future, it is something that needs to happen.  You can't stop life because of something like this.

I cried for literally the last 2 hours I read this book.  At one point my boyfriend stepped into the bedroom to grab something, saw my face, and walked right back out.  I mean, this book.  It hits home in so many ways.  My eyes were so, so sore the next day.

I really can't describe the feelings I got while reading this book.  If you've dealt with loss like losing a parent, I do think you'll understand if you read this book.  I wish I could properly articulate just how amazing this is.  It's not just "another book about losing a parent".  It hits all the feelings and emotions on the head.  Just be warned-you will cry like a baby.  A lot.

Also a quick thank you to Jamie over at The Perpetual Page Turner, because I would never have read this if it weren't for the letter you wrote on your blog to Morgan Matson. 

Title: Second Chance Summer
Author: Morgan Matson
Date of Publication: 2013
Number of Pages: 480
Genre: Fiction/YA
Source:  Personal Copy 

No comments:

Post a Comment