Sunday, June 22, 2014

My Stack of Summer Reads

You guys, summer is here!  It's my least favorite season (but I love it until the heat starts to get to me, which so far, it has not!).  But that doesn't mean I don't love the idea of summer.  And summer reading!  Typically though I get less reading done in the warmer months because I'm out doing things and being social.

With that said, I have a huge stack of books I really want to get to this season.  These are the books on my shelves (or Nook) that I cannot wait to read!  Some of them are from BEA, and some are books I acquired with my own money.  Some don't come out for a while, but I'll let you know when they do drop!

My summer reading stack, in no particular order:
1. Gulp by Mary Roach.  Because it's Mary Roach!  And this time she tackles our stomachs and mouths and I'm sure lots of gross things.  It's gonna be great!


2. The Vacationers by Emma Straub.  Family vacation.  Can't wait to get to this one.  We took a family trip every year growing up and I hope this'll bring back all the bad and good memories!


3. The Goddess of Small Victories by Yannick Grannec.  From Other Press, this one's out in October.  A novel about the widow of mathematician Kurt Godel.  Translated from the French.  Someone at the Other Press booth at BEA hand sold me this.  I can't wait to read it!


4. Happy are the Happy by Yasmina Reza, from Other Press, out January 2015.  It had me at "human comedy about love's vicissitudes and paradoxes."  Translated from the French.


5. Diary of the Fall by Michel Laub.  Other Press, August 2014.  Translated from the Portuguese.  This one takes place in Brazil, around a Jewish man looking back on his past and the mistakes he's made.


















6. A Distant Father by Antonio Skarmeta, Other Press September 2014.  French translator/school teacher in Chile deals with his French father abandoning his family and going back to France.  Translated from Spanish.




7. Ferdydurke by Witold Gombrowicz.  Translated from Polish.  One of the blurbs is one gets me the most excited: "Long live its sublime mockery."








8. Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, which one of my BFFs convinced me to read.  Troubled girl meets troubled boy??


9. The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue.  Picador, out October 2014.  At the book club speed dating event at BEA they said this one was "Steven King meets Neil Gaiman."


10. Rainey Royal by Dylan Landis.  Soho Press September 2014.  1970s in Greenwich Village, teenage girl trying to find her way.


11. Trans Atlantic by Colum McCann.  What really can I say??  It's Colum McCann!


12. The End of Innocence by Allegra Jordan.  Sourcebooks, August 2014.  WWI, two friends on opposing sides, girl back home who loves them.


13. Virgin by Radhika Sanghani, from Netgalley.  The book club speed dating session at BEA sold me on this one.  Girl decides it's time to lose her virginity, awkwardness begins.  Apparently very relatable.  Sounds awesome.


14. The Mountain Top School for Dogs by Ellen Cooney, from Netgalley.  A sanctuary to heal animals, while also healing your heart.  Yes!


15. Flirting with French by William Alexander, from Netgalley.  Because, I mean, a Francophile who wants to be French??  Right up my alley.  I'm interested to see what Alexander has to say.


What are looking forward to reading this summer??

No comments:

Post a Comment