Monday, June 14, 2010

My 50 Authors from 50 Countries Challenge!

I know it's a long shot.  My sister asked how in the world I was going to find English translations of books from some of the countries I've decided to do.  But I've been toying with the idea of this challenge for a few months now, and if I don't start it now, I'll just keep obsessing over it.  So here goes.  Soon I will embark on this new journey.  I hope when I'm done (not sure when that'll be.  I haven't given myself a deadline.) I'll be a more rounded person when it comes to understanding different cultures.  I've always enjoyed reading books from other countries and this is more of an excuse to keep doing it. 

On this list, I've only got the first 25 countries listed.  I'll add the next 25 once I've finished all of these.  I only have books planned for a handful of these countries, so please, if you know of a good read written by an author from one of my listed countries, let me know (I can read both English and French, by the way)!  (And the author doesn't have to still be living there.  They technically just have to be born there..)  So without further ado, here is my list for the first half of this challenge:
1. Afghanistan-The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
2. Australia-The Book Thief by Mark Zusak
3. Germany
4. Haiti-Compère général Soleil by Jacques-Stephen Alexis
5. Mexico
6. Russia
7. Sweden-The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
8. Turkey
9. Brazil
10. Canada
11. France
12. Italy
13. Spain-The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
14. Peru-The Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende
15. Poland-House of Day, House of Night by Olga Tokarczuk
16. United Kingdom
17. Vietnam
18. India
19. Ireland
20. Bulgaria
21. Hungary
22. China
23. Greece
24. Senegal
25. Portugal

No comments:

Post a Comment