Saturday, June 8, 2013

Review: Detection Unlimited by Georgette Heyer


When an unpopular solicitor is murdered in their small village, everyone has their own suspicions of who the murderer could be.  Chief Inspector Hemingway is brought on to investigate the murder and soon finds himself surrounded by these amateur detectives.  In a town where everyone knows everyone and no one really liked the deseased, who could have committed the murder?

Detection Unlimited was a fun read.  Sometimes I just need a fun mystery like this one to get my mind off of work, bills, and life in general.  And this was was definitely a lot of fun.  I adored Hemingway, I thought he was hilarious and witty and dealt with all of the townspeople really well. 

I really love Heyer's mysteries.  This is the second one that I've read, and once again I had no idea who the murderer was until the very end right before it was revealed.  I love mysteries like this, because it is never any fun when you guess who did it at the beginning and then have to read through the whole book.

My only complaint really was that there were so many characters.  It took me a while to get them all straight.  I did like the way they all fit into the whole "small town" feel of the book though.  They all gossiped about who it could be, they all had suspicions.  I really liked all of the characters once I knew who was who.

I need to add another Heyer book to my TBR.  I would love some suggestions!


Title: Detection Unlimited
Author: Georgette Heyer
Date of Publication: originally 1953, my copy is 2010
Number of Pages: 378
Genre: Fiction
Source: Personal Copy

No comments:

Post a Comment