Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Words/Topics that will make me NOT pick up a book

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.  Don't forget to visit them!

This weeks' topic: words/topics that will make me not pick up a book.

What a fun one!

1. Harlequin Romance.  Unless I want to read for kicks, out loud, to one of my best friends.

2. Love triangle.  Not  fan.

3. Paranormal Romance.  I'm sure there are some great ones out there, but it just doesn't do it for me.

4. Christian literature.  I don't mind a book that has a subtle religious undertone to it, if it's subtle!  I'm not a religious person, and I cannot take books that try to shove beliefs down my throat.

5. Any book with a picture of an Amish woman on it and is most likely about her falling in love or something like that.

6. Books about superheroes.  I am just not into the whole superhero thing.

7. The book equivalent of romantic comedies.  Okay, once in a great, great while, like maybe once or twice a year, I will read one of these, especially if I'm feeling stressed or overwhelmed and just want to read something light.

8. Most YA romances.  I have nothing against YA or romance or anything like that, and I do occasionally read them.  But I'm not going to be all "OMG I need that book!!" if it's a YA romance.  Like maybe it is a cute story about two high school kids or something, but unless I read some great reviews of it by bloggers I trust, I will not read it.

9. Sports.  If there is really anything sports related, you can bet I won't read it unless I'm being forced.  The main character plays a sport or goes to sports games or has a job in sports?  No thank you.  Nonfiction about sporty people?  I'll pass.

10. Anytime I read this in more than one review of a book: "I would have liked the book more, but I did not connect with the characters at all.  I didn't care about the choices they were making or what happened to them, etc etc etc.."  If multiple bloggers are saying this about the same book, I won't waste my time.  Unless of course there are equal number of reviews by bloggers I trust raving about the quality of the book.

So what about you guys?  What makes you not want to pick up a book?

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, I don't understand the Amish romance trend! I don't get it! I'll read the Linda Castillo series and that's about it. Haha! I'm so with you on #4, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad someone else agrees! I feel like the Amish romances are so popular right now.. I do love the Linda Castillo series, but that's because it's crime :)

      Delete