Thursday, September 26, 2013

Review: Midnight on Julia Street by Ciji Ware


Corlis is a TV reporter who just can't seem to keep a job.  When one of her stories forces her to work closely with an old college nemesis, she's not sure she can handle it, especially with all the random visions she's been having since moving down to New Orleans.  This is a story about a historic block of buildings slated for demolition, and the people who once built it.  Of course, there is also a romantic relationship :)

This was a fun read.  It wasn't super heavy, but it dealt with a topic I definitely support: preserving old buildings.  Corlis is having visions of the people who built these buildings over a hundred years ago, which adds to the reader wanting them to stay standing.  It's something to think about.  I know buildings have to be demolished sometimes, but don't you ever wonder what went on in them?  What stories they could tell?

So anyway, I definitely just went off on a tangent..  Usually when I read books that have parallel stories in the past and present, I'm more drawn to the past.  However, I didn't really find myself connecting much with that story.  I was much more interested in Corlis and King in present times.  I've never been to New Orleans, but this book definitely seemed to capture the French Quarter.  At least that feeling I always get when I'm in a historic area and I can just feel that history. 

All in all, this was a fun book.  I absolutely adored the last Ciji Ware book that I read, A Cottage by the Sea, and this one wasn't quite as awesome.  But I definitely plan on reading more!



Title: Midnight on Julia Street
Author: Ciji Ware
Date of Publication: 2011 (reprint)
Number of Pages: 512
Genre: Fiction
Source: Personal Copy

No comments:

Post a Comment