Friday, September 20, 2013

Review: Pink Boots and a Machete by Mireya Mayor (3rd book club pick)

 
 
Mireya Mayor had an interesting start to her carreer as a primatologist and National Geographic Explorer, she was a cheerleader for the NFL.  Don't let that fool you though, Mayor is tough.  This book recounts her journey from cheerleader to PhD holder, as well as some of the incredible adventures she had on the way.

We chose this book as our 3rd club read (however we still need to meet to discuss!!  We keep having to postpone!), and I'm so glad that we did.  This was such a fascinating read.  I mean, when you think NFL cheerleader, you think "pink frills and five star hotels yay!" not living in the jungle for months with limited water for drinking and bathing and having worms living in your feet and your eyes.  Mayor is not a weak person, that is for sure. 

What really got me throughout the book was how quickly people tried to put her down because of her gender.  It was always, "oh, she's too hot to be an explorer, she's obviously trying really hard" or "she's too rugged and not girly enough".  Come on people (mainly I think the media), she has discovered new species!!  She's almost died from a blood infection!

Seriously, this book is going to fill you with so many highs and lows.  For example, the text I sent to a friend in book club (please ignore the bad grammar):
"Heather (twin sis) was so right about the book club read!  I'm reading and I sooo want to go to Africa and South Americaa and experience all this tuff and be in nature and then there's things like worms embedding themselves in flesh and I totally embrace western civilization and the roadside motel Jake and I will be staying at on vacation next month in fact let's upgrade to a four star hilton or something and have all the luxuries k thanks!"

And that text basically sums up the book.

Seriously though, I highly recommend it.  I especially loved how much Mayor supported having a family but also following you dream.  After all, if you aren't doing what makes you happy, you aren't going to be 100% there for your family.

Did you have dreams as a child of becoming a world renowned explorer??  I know I did!  Too much Indiana Jones I think.

Title: Pink Boots and a Machete: My Journey from NFL Cheerleader to National Geographic Explorer
Author: Mireya Mayor
Date of Publication: 2011
Number of Pages: 305
Genre: Memoir
Source: Personal ebook


No comments:

Post a Comment