Monday, September 16, 2013

Review: The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame



The Wind in the Willows is the classic story of Rat, Mole, Badger, and Toad and their adventures along the River, in the Wild Wood, and around their home.

I absolutely adored this gem.  I loved the movie (remember the cartoon that I think they used to play on like Nick Jr or something??) when I was little, and I've always wanted to read the book.  My little sister lent it to me a few months ago and I finally sat down to read it.  When I opened up the book to the first chapter, I was greeted by such a sweet surprise.  My little sister wrote me a note :)  Here's a photo:



I know, her handwriting isn't that great, but basically the note says that she knows I'll love the book and she feels bad because apparently when we were little I really wanted to buy the book myself but she bought it instead, and when we were little, it was taboo to buy the book that one of your sisters wanted!  I thought that was the sweetest note ever, and completely unexpected :)

Anyway, the book is fantastic, it took me away to a magical land of animals that talk and read and eat by candlelight.  I didn't want the story to end.  I daydreamed for days after finishing the book about their little world.  I thought endlessly of all the other little adventures they must be taking.  And I still do.  I adore this book and I think it's a must read.  Someday when my sisters maybe have children (because I don't want any of my own), I will buy my little nieces or nephews their own copies of this fantastic book.  And the drawings are such an important part of it :)

Have you read The Wind in the Willows?  What did you think?  Were you also wisked away to River with Mole, Toad, Bagder, and Rat?

Title: The Wind in the Willows
Author: Kenneth Grahame
Date of Publication:
Number of Pages:
Genre: Fiction
Source: Lent to my by my little sister

No comments:

Post a Comment