Friday, October 25, 2013

Review: Red Hill by Jamie McGuire


Here's the description from the back of the book:
For Scarlet, raising her two daughters alone means fighting for tomorrow is an everyday battle.  Nathan has a wife, but can't remember what it'slike to be in love; only his young daughter Zoe makes coming home worthwhile.  Miranda's biggest concern is whether her new VW Bug is big enough to carry her sister and their boyfriends on a weekend escape from college finals.
When reports of a widespread, deadly "outbreak" begin to surface, these ordinary people face extraordinary circumstances and suddenly their fates are intertwined.  Recognizing they can't outrun the danger, Scarlet, Nathan, and Miranda desperately seek shelter at the same secluded ranch, Red Hill.  Emotions run high while old and new relationships are tested in the face of a terrifying enemy-an enemy who no longer remembers what it's like to be human.

So let me preface my review by saying that a week after finishing Red Hill, I had my first zombie nightmare.  (Okay, maybe not technically my first.  When I was in 9th grade I used to have dreams that my Math teacher was a zombie vampire.  I wasn't super fond of algebra..what can I say?)

I'm pretty sure this was my first zombie book ever, and I am so glad that I saw Swapna's review.  Because I went out and bought it a few weeks later.  I'd mean to read it while on vacation last week in the Adirondacks, but it kept calling my name so I picked it up and could not put it down.

I swear it just sucks you in!

And it was frightening, because the three narrators are all normal people like you or me and they're just doing their everyday thing and then wham!  Zombies!

I was very invested in the characters and I kept imagining what I would do in a similar situation.

Also I want to say that this is a far cry from my usual zombie fix, which is the movie Shawn of the Dead.  That is comedy.  This book is scary.  I so recommend it if you want something a little different to get you in that Halloween spirit!  It was so much fun to read about something other than my usual Autumn staple, ghosts.


Title: Red Hill
Author: Jamie McGuire
Date of Publication: 2013
Number of Pages: 356
Genre: Fiction
Source: Personal Copy

1 comment:

  1. I thought this one was a lot of fun - and I read a LOT of zombie books :) Zombie dreams are fairly common in our house!

    ReplyDelete