Saturday, November 23, 2013

Review: Coraline by Neil Gaiman


Coraline is the story of a girl who has just recently moved into a new house with her parents.  When she finds a door that leads to what looks like her exact same house, she enters the world of her other mother and other father.  At first, Coraline is taken with this new place.  It's not quite so boring as her real home.  But soon Coraline realizes that her other mother might not be so motherly after all.

Coraline was creepy, wich I wasn't expecting.  My little sister lent this one to me, saying that it's the perfect book for me.  This is a childrens/middle grade book, and I do love those, but I wasn't sure I would be all that creeped out.  But I was pleasantly surprised and ended up loving it!  (and also making Boyfriend stay up until I got into bed so that he could turn off the lights..)

Coraline as a character is a lot of fun.  She's your typical young girl who loves exploring and would rather be outside playing that inside watching TV.  I was reminded of how myself and my sisters were as children.  I totally get the urge Coraline had to visit her other mother and other house.  She was an only child with parents who worked from home, so they might be home, but they'd be working, and Coraline would get lonely.  The other world seemed fun and exciting.  I mean, how many of us as kids used to daydream about finding a secret doorway to another world??!  I know I did.

All in all, this was such a fun and creepy book.  Don't brush it aside just because you're an adult :)

Have you read Coraline?  What did you think??  Was it creepy for you too?  Let me know in the comments or on Twitter.

Title: Coraline
Author: Neil Gaiman
Date of Publication: 2002
Number of Pages: 162
Genre: Fiction, childrens
Source: Borrowed from my little sis

No comments:

Post a Comment