Sunday, November 3, 2013

Review: The Shining by Stephen King


Here's the description from the back of the book:
Jack Torrance's new job at the Overlook Hotel is the perfect chance for a fresh start.  As the off-season caretaker at the atmospheric old hotel, he'll have plenty of time to spend reconnecting with his family and working on his writing.  But as the harsh winter weather sets in, the idyllic location feels ever more remote...and more sinister.  And the only one to notice the strange and terrible forces gathering around the Overlook is Danny Torrance, a uniquely gifted five-year-old.

I can't believe I waited so freaking long to read this book.  Or anything by Stephen King for that matter.  I always thought I wouldn't like the book.  I also always assumed I would hate King's writing style.  Why??  No real reason.  I'd never even given him a try.

And I am so happy to say that I adored this book!  It is going down in history as one of my all-time favorite reads ever.  In fact, I loved it so much that I had a hard time picking up my next read, because I was still thinking about The Shining days later.  This book was creepy.  It gave me all sorts of weird nightmares.  And I'm not the nightmare type.  The only time I ever have nightmares is when I'm sick with a fever.  And I am currently not sick at all.

This book sucked me in from the beginning, and I couldn't put it down.  I found myself reading during my breaks at work with my heart pounding in my chest, wishing I could extend my break.  I stayed up late reading (which I don't often do on work nights because I really love my beauty sleep and am cranky in the morning).  I still can't believe how much I loved this book.

Also, I knew pretty much how the book was going to play out (I think most people do??), but I still kept hoping and hoping and hoping that Jack was going to cave and get his wife and kid out of the hotel before winter really set it. 

If you have been reluctant to read Stephen King or The Shining, I really think you need to cave in and try!  Also, as I've been typing this, I keep accidentally typing IT for no reason at all.  So maybe that will have to be my next Stephen King read.

Have you read The Shining?  What did you think?  Let me know here or on Twitter @tomgirl571 !

Title: The Shining
Author: Stephen King
Date of Publication: 1977
Number of Pages: 659
Genre: Fiction
Source: Personal Copy

1 comment:

  1. I loved this one too. His writing style is wonderful - he's a real storyteller. You should check out his sequel to "The Shining", "Doctor Sleep". It's a new release.

    ReplyDelete