Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Review: The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon


Here is the official book description (from Netgalley):
West Hall, Vermont, has always been a town of strange disappearances and old legends. The most mysterious is that of Sara Harrison Shea, who, in 1908, was found dead in the field behind her house just months after the tragic death of her daughter, Gertie. Now, in present day, nineteen-year-old Ruthie lives in Sara's farmhouse with her mother, Alice, and her younger sister, Fawn. Alice has always insisted that they live off the grid, a decision that suddenly proves perilous when Ruthie wakes up one morning to find that Alice has vanished without a trace. Searching for clues, she is startled to find a copy of Sara Harrison Shea's diary hidden beneath the floorboards of her mother's bedroom. As Ruthie gets sucked deeper into the mystery of Sara's fate, she discovers that she's not the only person who's desperately looking for someone that they've lost. But she may be the only one who can stop history from repeating itself.            

What a fantastically creepy book!  I mean, this book just got under my skin-I couldn't read it if I was home alone at night.  I made Boyfriend stay up with me so he could turn off all the lights.  It's perfect, and ya know what, it wasn't scary like SOMETHINGS GONNA POP OUT WITH A KNIFE kind of scary, like all the movies are nowadays.  Like I said above, it's more that it just slowing gets under your skin and starts to creep you out.  And I love that it was written like that!

The setting is perfect, though I think my dream of living in rural Vermont is now crushed for good, because I'll be terrified to look out my window at night and keep closet doors unlocked.  I'll be listening for scratching noises constantly.  Seriously though, this is a great book and perfect for a cold, snowy winter day.

I loved the characters, especially Ruthie.  She is such a strong person, probably stronger than even she knew.  Even though she longs to get away from her small town life, she is there for her little sister and mother with they need her the most. 

All in all, this is a wonderul and unique story.  I highly recommend it and I know I'll be bugging friends and family to read it for the next few months.

Have you read The Winter People?  What did you think?  Let me know in the comments or on Twitter!

Title: The Winter People
Author: Jennifer McMahon
Date of Publication: February 11th, 2014
Number of Pages: 336
Genre: Fiction
Source: Netgalley

2 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to this one. I've enjoyed every one of McMahon's books that I've read so far and this one has definitely been at the top of my must have list this month. My copy should be in hand very soon and I'm looking forward to diving in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Kelly, this sounds just the creepy ticket for the grim weather at the moment. Have just requested it!

    ReplyDelete