Monday, April 28, 2014

Review: There's More to Life Than This by Theresa Caputo



Here's the Goodreads description:
Brassy and beloved medium Theresa Caputo, star of the hit television show Long Island Medium, opens the door to her world and invites you to experience her exceptional gift of com­municating with those who’ve crossed over to the Other Side. The always funny, frank, and down-to-earth medium—whether she’s talking to her fam­ily, the local butcher, or the souls of those who’ve passed on—began communicating with Spirit at the age of four, but didn’t fully accept her gift until she was thirty-three years old. She had a good life as a busy wife and working mom, but also suffered from chronic anxiety that, as it turned out, came from ignoring her abilities. Once Theresa began channeling, she realized that she felt much better after delivering a message from Spirit and releasing that energy. Since then she’ s used her extraordinary gift to help people heal from the loss of their loved ones.

Theresa feels that it’s her purpose to make us all aware that there is more to life than what we see here in the physical world. She wants you to know that your deceased loved ones are safe and at peace, and that they’re now with you in a different way—watching over you, loving you, and assisting you from the Other Side. She also wants you to real­ize that the unexplainable things you sense and feel from these souls are real, and that it’s healthy and essential to acknowledge them.

There’s More to Life Than This lends insight on how Theresa’s mediumship works, what happens to your soul when you die, what Spirit says Heaven is like, what the deceased want you to know, the importance of living a positive life, and the many roles that your family, friends, angels, guides, souls of faith, and God play here and in the afterlife. It also explores how to safely connect with Spirit, so that you can recognize when your loved ones are reaching out.

Through Theresa’s personal story, compel­ling anecdotes, and fascinating client readings, she teaches us about how she communicates with Spirit and helps us to understand and appreciate the important lessons and touching messages that we’re meant to embrace every day.


I have to say I'm a big fan of Long Island Medium.  Do I necessarily believe it's all true??  I'm not sure.  But you guys, if you've been reading my blog long enough, know that I'm kind of obsessed with the paranormal.  Ghost Hunters is my most favorite show ever, and I just cannot, CANNOT resist something like Theresa's book.

Also let me put my reading experience into context for you: The boyfriend was working late doing sound at a concert, and it was like....9 PM maybe?  And I swear to goodness, the dog and I heard a UFO hovering above my house (I don't even believe in UFOs or anything like that!!!!!  But when I'm home alone I get scared wayyyy too easily..).  So I was like "I cannot sleep until the boyfriend gets home....at like 2 or 3AM.  To help myself stay awake until then, I downloaded this book on my Nook.

Theresa is, as ever, hilarious.  Her personality really shines through in this.  But what I really loved was when she got serious and talked about growing up and living with her "gift" when she didn't really understand it.  Being a fan of all things paranormal, I also enjoyed when she talked about what her take on the afterlife was.  Because, anyone who's super interested in ghost hunting and whatnot is usually thinking at least a bit "what happens when you die?  Why are these people still around even though they are dead?".  I don't know if Theresa's right.  But I enjoyed reading her take on things.

What I really liked about the book was how she did not try to force her beliefs down the reader's throat.  She refers to whatever higher power is out there as God, and other beings as angels.  But she says right in the book that she refers to them that way because of her Catholic upbringing.  If you come from a different background, you can refer to this higher power however you like.  And I really liked that.  I was raised Catholic but am not religious in any way and never go to church or anything like that.  And I was worried that this book might get religious and preachy.  Instead, Theresa says just believe in what you believe.  Be spiritual, you don't have to be "religious".  Which I'm totally on board with.

If you're a fan of Long Island Medium, I think you'll enjoy this book.  It definitely kept me up until the boyfriend came home!

Have you read There's More to Life Than This?  Or are you a fan of Ghost Hunters and the paranormal??  Let me know in the comments or on Twitter!

Title: There's More to Life Than This
Author: Theresa Caputo
Date of Publication: 2013
Number of Pages: 256
Genre: Nonfiction
Source: Ebook on my Nook

1 comment:

  1. Sounds super fun -- but I probably won't read. I'm so deathly afraid of ghosts and this kind of stuff just gets under my skin and re-emerges at 2am!

    ReplyDelete